Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Livin' life on the flip side of 50 isn't for sissies - once you are there however, you should have had enough experiences to handle each day as it unfolds.  One truth remains - life on the flip side of 50 is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!  I think I've posted that truth once before - I never believed time could go so fast.  Summers as a kid were loooong - and waiting on Christmas (it is my birthday also) seemed like forever.  Now I just about get Christmas back in the closet and it's time to get it back out again! 

I'm  not complaining - I realize time is flying only  because I'm not as fast as I used to be - we all experience this as our to do lists grow longer and longer with each year.  Being able to laugh about it tho makes it more acceptable - lets face it - there's nothing we can do about it - there's still 24 hours in everyone's day and 60 minutes in every hour - it's how we respond to each  moment that really matters, not how long or short it is!

I have a great husband, but he dwells on the past - he relates every thing that happens presently to the past!  Nothing is really new or exciting to him, inspiring to him, uplifting to him - it's never as good as the past!  He asks where I get all the energy - we eat the same foods, are together much of the time, watch the same TV programs,  but we have very different outlooks, views and reflections.  He has a good heart but his opinions about the now are always negative because  nothing compares to the past.  And when he talks about events that took place years ago, I find his memory and my memory are not the same!  He has this rosy picture in his mind of the past and  I remember mostly the negative stuff, the pain and the hurtful things. 

We've just had our 58th wedding anniversary July 7 and the day after, my youngest daughter (who is 49) said: how did you two  ever get together - you are both so different in character.  My reply was:  I guess opposites attract!  I saw in him what I was desiring and he saw in me what he was desiring and together we feel complete.  Life isn't always rosy but it isn't always negative either - but it is what it is and how we view it and store it in our memory box is all important to us on the flip side of 50!

the kardlady









No comments:

Post a Comment