Friday, September 2, 2011

The joy of livin' is learning to spin straw into gold!

I think we can all relate to this adage - I just came across this one recently!  For a lot of years now I've been trying to spin straw into gold - literally - and it "ain't" easy!  In a world that revolves around dollars and cents, I've had a great time taking bits and pieces  and turning it into something I  treasure. 


I come from a long line of  "trash pickers"I love flea markets and yard sales and such - because I usually come away with  something I can see a treasure in!  Isn't that what life is all about!  Aren't we to look beyond what appears and call it into being?  That's  what I've learned in all my creating and crafting.  At this stage of  life however all I'm hearing about  is "sizing down"!   To me sizing down is giving up - it's  diminishing......I've just begun to live the past 20 years.  Before that, life was responsibilities and raising up those kids, and makin' ends meet.  I'm not ready to throw in the towel and all I've accumulated and love just yet!   

We have a little cottage, my Mr.  and me - but we have an upstairs bedroom that we built ourselves - it's the whole second floor with eaves on three sides and a  raised roof on the 4th side.  It is full!   The Mr. says it's mostly my things - and I guess he's right!  Since I'm the lady of the house and he calls the linen closet mine because I'm the only one who goes in it, then  I guess it's mine --- as well as the sewing machine and  cabinet I purchased to replace the old sewing machine, but couldn't get used to   so it's still there. The new cabinet is a nice piece of furniture I'm not willing to part with- yet!  So don't talk to me about sizing down!

But after 53 years of marriage I've  learned that you have to lose some of the little battles with the Mr.   so you can win the big ones - so this morning I told him I would give up the 3rd bed in our over-stuffed bedroom -  a select comfort twin bed - you know the kind with a sleep number.  It filled  my  need  to be hospitable while the grandkids were younger (the youngest is now 16).  So  I let him convince me to give it up!  I have had second thoughts about it - it's not gone yet!

the kardlady

No comments:

Post a Comment